The normally buzzing streets of Columbus, Ohio are even busier than usual as a new bar, Heard and Seen, makes its way into the Short North. Founder and CEO David Shelton hopes this new bar can be a safe place for people navigating a tough world.

“It all started when I was at Ethyl this past summer,” David explained before The Sundial could even ask any questions. “I was having a drink with my boys and vibing to Levitating by Dua Lipa, when I realized they were playing the version with DaBaby. I was stunned because, like, didn’t they know about the big issues affecting LGBT people today? How was I supposed to listen to this in good conscience? That’s when I realized, there’s no good spaces for people who aren’t gay, but support the gay lifestlye.”

From there, David decided to create the most inclusive space he could imagine, and he set his sights high. “I managed to buy Out of the Closet’s building, and I can’t wait to turn this into a truly inviting space!” David said as he took down the “Free HIV Testing” sign and replaced it with a straight ally flag. “I’ve also been running events to build up hype. We’ve held Steven Universe watch parties every Friday night, and it’s been going pretty good. A few people have approached me saying I should host Drag Race things too, but I don’t think it would go as well. I mean, don’t gay people hate cars or something?”

Heard and Seen is currently running a special on rainbow cocktails, which David claims “will fuck you up faster than Naturdays! Who knew all these cocktails were so much stronger than beers? I can tell you who!”

-By Zach Levy, Editor-In-Chief