COLUMBUS—A popular campus dining location at The Ohio State University has been shut down indefinitely after several student reports of a haunting. Traditions at Kennedy, affectionately known as KComm, was a prime eating spot for students until last weekend when several students claimed to have spotted a ghost on the premises. “At first I thought it was just the mellow whispers of dad rock I was hearing,” noted sophomore Julia Romero, referencing the music the dining hall often plays. “But the chorus of Drift Away sounded…off. And five minutes later when I felt a sudden chill in the air, there was no doubt in my mind that a ghost was there.” 

Many students believe the ghost to be KComm’s namesake, June F. Kennedy herself. The paranormal activities reported in KComm seem to corroborate this theory, with silverware somehow levitating to its proper place, encouraging statements whispered into students’ ears, and a trail of gravy ectoplasm oozing from the breakfast station into the great hall. 

University officials have yet to confirm the existence of a ghost but for some, the closure of KComm is confirmation enough. OSU junior and avid ghost fan Sam Jenkins believes with “100% confidence” that June F. Kennedy is haunting Kennedy Commons. Jenkins has been attempting to sleep overnight at Kennedy Commons for the past two years in hopes of sighting the famous spirit, but to no avail. Although he has never spotted the alleged ghost in person, Jenkins maintains that he has felt her presence “in every piece of chicken parm”. To Jenkins, Ohio State’s actions with regard to KComm speak louder than their words. “There is no way that they would close down if they didn’t have knowledge of a haunting. Absolutely no way. They’re definitely hiding something from us, and what they’re hiding is the ghost of that sweet old lady.” 

Other students, however, are less concerned with the dining hall’s closure. “To be honest, I was already getting kinda sick of the meal rotation,” mentioned freshman Shelly Hoffman. “If I had to eat one more slice of under seasoned grilled chicken, I might have started haunting the place myself. And the constant chain rattling was getting a bit obnoxious.” 

Kennedy Commons will remain closed, university officials say, until further notice, and a full investigation will be conducted into the reports. In the meantime, any students who experience paranormal or ghost-like activities are advised to address the problem through the university by calling 2-HELP (614-292-4357) and not any other outside ghost-eradicating services that may exist.

Written by Francesca Varga, Social Media Officer